TMNT (2012) New Episode Open Thread (Spoilers)
2 February 2014 8 Comments
Thus far, Casey Jones has been one of this seasons’ most pleasant surprises. Thanks in part to his isolation from the turtles, the character has been a breath of fresh air, as he provides April–and some viewers–just what they needed: someone who wasn’t the turtles. Of course, given his importance to the mythology, he wasn’t going to stay in the periphery forever, and it was just a matter of time before he met the guys. That moment is now. Also, Foot Ninja.
As always, post your thoughts, positive, negative, or meta-filled in the comments.
ETA: My thoughts below the cut.
A first (sorta) for the show: a straight-up adaptation of an existing story. If nothing else, it’s nice to know that this show is consistently able to surprise. Like most versions of the story, it doesn’t really rise up above “eh”, in large part because, as the various previous versions have shown, there’s simply not a whole lot of story here to tell, and so considerable sections of the episode are spent killing time. The scene at the school, for example, could have been omitted without affecting the plot, as could have the Not! Voltron scene, which felt especially gratuitous here (although that’s been the case for a while, really). What’s more, I’m not sure this is the kind of story that can be told at this point in the story, and the episode’s execution would seem to bear that out, as the beats feel more contrived than they do in other versions. Still, its an okay episode, in large part because Casey Jones continues to be very likeable. Here’s hoping that lasts.
- Irma! I’m not sure what to make of her just yet, but she’s, at the very least, not offensive. Could stand to see more of her.
- While the series tends to be good at doing the most out of their limited artistic assets–the initial Casey scene works, even thought the reason it’s staged that way is because to save them from having to render his room–it means that, occasionally, we’re left with sub-optimal set-ups. The Foot Robots should not be used as random-mook-of-the week. What’s more, their presence here raises the question: why haven’t they done this before?
- Okay, I suppose it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibilities that Donatello could have not recognized Casey as the dude he’d seen being friendly with April, but seeing him not have any sort of reaction at all seems sloppy. Pleasant, but sloppy.
- Casey has a sister? Did we know that already? Still, it’s interesting. No mention of a mother, though ( -_-).
- Oh, turtles. I won’t say you don’t act like brothers, but I will say that I had siblings that act like they do, I’d be angling to move out as soon as possible.